Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The art of improvisation

So I have been performing improvised theater with a talented and interesting group of individuals for over 3 years now in the Capital District. The Mop and Bucket Theater Company has been my creative, collaborative home and has been one of my biggest joys living in Troy. Together we make things up and delight in leaping into the unknown together, much like I will be doing with this trip.


At rehearsal last night, we moved all of our things into a new rehearsal space on the third floor of a beautiful historic bank in Schenectady. This new space is amazing: concrete floors, marble, shelves and pipes everywhere, a loft like feel, historic and brimming with possibility. The space is at least 2-3 times larger than our previous one and has this energy to it that just feels like “us”. We are going to hold classes there, performances there, build a real community in the space that is now just “ours”. I could see after all the painting was done, the floors put in, the mural wall contributed to by all parties, that this space was just going to be magical.


And then, my heart sank a little. Sometimes it feels like when I move away from somewhere, when I make an exit, it is always at a sort of peak period. Brian and I have developed these new and amazing friendships here very recently, the improv company really feels like it is taking off, etc. and now we are saying goodbye. But maybe that is really the way it should be. Leave on a high note, just like Seinfeld, right?


And maybe I am being too overdramatic about all of this. In the realm of possibilities we could return to where we are living and in not very much time. But in my heart, I think I know that we will be moving on to something new. At least for a while.


So I have two rehearsals and three performances left with these lovely people that make me laugh uncontrollably and inspire and delight me in many ways. We are doing a show now called Spontaneous Broadway where we improvise a full length musical together. Hello, what could be more fun and crazy? I love it. Shows are the next 3 Fridays at Proctor’s in Schenectady at 8PM if you are interested in an excellent evening of entertainment.


I want to be fully present and aware and grateful for these last shared moments with my friends and collaborators at MOPCO. I am a lucky lady to have known them, to have grown with them and for all of the damn fun we have had...


Photo by Leif Zurmuhlen



No comments:

Post a Comment