Friday, February 4, 2011

Akaroa


Well we are loving our time here in Akaroa. We are wwoofing at the Tree Crop Farm (thanks Shannon!) which is truly a paradise.
I have been doing a lot of housekeeping for the "love shacks" which has been really fun :) Cutting and arranging flowers, changing satiny sheets, trying to make each hut as romantic and special as possible :) The gardens here are spectacular and are based on Renoir's... We have already seen a porcupine, a possum and gecko lizards. One night I opened our little hut door where we are staying and saw a HUGE possum with his arms wrapped around a tree staring right at me! It was pretty startling!

I am so enjoying the physical work here. Hiking to each hut, carrying heavy things, down on the floor cleaning, feeling tired and sore at the end of the day and being able to see the fruits of my labor. There is something so satisfying about a days physical work, especially when it is to provide someone else with pleasure. I have never had this sort of satisfaction when I work in an office, it is so completely different. It really suits me.

Last night Brian and I indulged in an outdoor heated bath in the back of the little hut we are sta. We built a fire under the golden steel tub and gazed at the stars together in a hot spa. We for the first time saw clearly the milky way and it was truly astonishing. I think we both saw last night more stars than we have ever seen in a night sky before.


I have started working more intensively on writing my plays and it has been really enjoyable. I have realized I have to be pretty organized about getting the time and place to do creative work. It's hard when you are in a new place, especially when your schedule is not your own. We will be in one apartment for 2 weeks in Melbourne starting tomorrow (thanks Jason!) so I am looking forward to getting into more of a routine.

We leave for Australia tomorrow and it will be a bit sad to leave New Zealand. What a special, magical, unique and beautiful country. If we had to come home tomorrow, this trip would have been entirely worth it....We may very well never see this island again, I want to soak it all in...

Melbourne - here we come :)

3 comments:

  1. oh wow! that place looks incredible! i am definitely marking that on my list of places to go. i need to experience that outdoor tub!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry, you guys. You'll both be visiting NZ in the future, on your 25th and 50th wedding anniversaries and with assistance, on your 75th anniversary. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice!!! Love that outdoor bathtub. That pic of Bri is too funny! Sounds like this was an incredible place. Farewell NZ, Hello AU!

    ReplyDelete