Thursday, March 17, 2011

Traveler Profile - Eylin

So after meeting some wonderful people so far on our trip, I decided I wanted you to be able to get to know them a little bit too :) I'm adding a new feature to this blog called "traveler profiles" where I will interview the friends we make along our way. I hope you enjoy it!

This is Eylin. We met her in Bali because she stayed upstairs from us in our homestay. Eylin inspired me in many ways, her courageous trip to India, the 10 day meditation retreat she did in Thailand, her positive attitude and sweet generous nature, and her ability to always look so pretty and put together even though she was living out of a backpack! I hope we see you again Eylin in Europe!

Name, Age and Country of origin

Eylin (pronounced Eileen), 34, Germany

Where did you meet Katie and Brian?

In Ubud, Bali

How long will you be traveling on this trip and where will you go?

I will be traveling for 12 months. I am in my 5th month now. I am going to go to India next and then Nepal. I will also go to Turkey, Greece, Spain, Italy, France, the Netherlands, England and Sweden. I started my trip in India, I spent two months in India, and then I went to Thailand for a month and now I have been in Indonesia for one month.

Why did you choose to leave home and travel the world?

Because I’ve been working for the last 10 years and I just felt like I was ready to learn on my own, for my own life, not for my boss or manager or anyone else so that was the main reason. I wanted to just get out of the normal life.

What have you learned from your travels and experiences so far that you feel like you might not have learned or realized if you had not taken this trip?

To negotiate in different countries, different prices for food, hotels and transportation. I learned for myself yoga, meditation, playing the djembe, maybe being more patient waiting for the bus, waiting for anything. Trying new kinds of foods, I would never have done that. I’m enjoying mango and ginger now, yeah things like that.

What were you hoping to achieve on this trip before you left home?

My main goal was to become more confident, self-confident. And, I don’t know, I’m just traveling for four months now, I think I still have a long way to go, but yes that was my main goal.

Has this goal/or these goals changed as you have been traveling?

On the way you always find new things you want to achieve, like I’ve done a free diving course, I’d never been thinking I wanted to dive but now I love it. And this month’s goal is to learn a song, the lyrics of a song and so the goals are adding up on this journey, I add to my list.

What is the most memorable moment you can recall so far on this trip?

That’s really hard. There are a lot of them. But maybe, shaving my head, that was a pretty big step. I did it because of a lot of changes in the first two months of my travels, and it’s hard because you kind of identify yourself with your hair and hairstyle and things like that, then suddenly you shave it and you are naked and you are what the people see, it is just the pure you, I think. And that was pretty memorable. But I got a lot of positive feedback so I didn’t regret it a second.

If you could summarize your philosophy of life in one sentence, what would that be?

There’s one sentence I like to say, Do the things that truly count for yourself, don’t listen to what the others say and just follow your heart. I think it is important to achieve your personal goals and to get to know yourself.

Any other thoughts?

I think Katie and Brian are really great and I am really happy that I met them. We had some really good moments and I hope we keep in touch and learn from each other and with each other and I wish them all the best.

1 comment:

  1. Cool! I like the traveler profile idea. Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete