Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Life is like a sleeper bus ride

So we took a "sleeper" bus from Nha Trang to Hoi An last night, and wow it was an experience! We each were in these little coffin seats that leaned back and buckled in. For 12 hours we rocked, swayed, and lurched as the bus driver slammed on the brakes, honked the horn and swerved the bus into oncoming traffic to pass on the left. Amidst all of this, we were meant to sleep. At one point I sat up in my little coffin and heard a symphony of snoring, how was that possible? Could everyone on this bus be asleep but me?

I kept laying down trying to sleep myself. But with each lurch, honk or brake squeal, my whole body would tense up and I felt anxiety. I worked over and over again to let go, let go and accept the situation. I then started to think about how the bus trip was much like life. Unpredictable, often times out of our control, exciting, scary, always changing, moving forward, communal, challenging, etc. etc. And then I turned the ipod on and listened to Joseph Campbell talk about Hinduism for an hour or so and it finally lulled me to sleep for just a little bit. I awoke so grateful for the morning light. Hoi An was such a peaceful beautiful welcome after the 12 hour ride. Let's just say I am grateful that we are flying to Hanoi!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what an experience! I don't think I'd like the sleeper bus very much.

    ReplyDelete